Monday, May 12, 2014

Reflections from the past

I came into my blogger account yesterday to start a new blog for the online fabric shop that my mom and I have started and found the ghost of this old blog still lurking around.  I've been getting into more costume construction lately, granted it's more on the fairy and fantasy side, but that doesn't mean I can't pick this blog back up and highlight the historical references in my fantasy costuming!  I'm also working on some more costuming for my children and would love a place to share some of the techniques I use in children's costuming.  But for now, let's take a look at a few projects from the last few years.


I got to test a Renaissance Maiden pattern for Muse of the Morning and love the result!  The corset is designed to grow with a girl as she ages, which is very similar to how clothing was made during the time periods that we love to re-create at the Renaissance Festivals!


I started a line of full fairy costumes that had wings that attached to the dress with Velcro.  These were a big hit, moms loved them, but they weren't very practical, since the wings could only be worn with the dress.


That led to wings that could be worn with anything!  I started with wings that have elastic bands, which are great for children, and then moved on to wings that can be worn with corsets or tight-fitting bodices and no straps or elastic bands.  My little Pixie is wearing one of the strapless wings here, the Mendhika Butterfly.  I made matching wings for Molly (her American Girl Doll).


Here is one of my favorite pictures of my daughter and I at the Texas Renaissance Festival.  I'm wearing strapless wings (Mendhika Dragonfly) and she is wearing elastic harness wings (Elven Court).

That's just a taste of what I've been up to over the last three years.  I also started a blog on my website, but maybe I'll move those posts over here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment