Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Starting Out!

This is officially my first post!  Let's start with a little of my personal history before delving into historical costuming.  I am 29 and a single mother to two of the smartest, most amazing (and hard-headed) children in the world.  I currently live in a small town in South Texas, I doubt you'd know where it is.  I'm close to Corpus Christi and San Antonio.  

I learned to sew at a very young age, with my great-grandmother setting me on her lap as a baby.  Through my school years, I joined 4H and excelled in the clothing competition.  I even started playing with designing my own formal dresses while in 4H.  I got into fights with my homemaking teacher at the high school, because she doubted my sewing abilities and wanted me to make a pair of shorts when I wanted to make a sundress.  I didn't last long in her class.  

Around the time I turned 22, I moved to Corpus Christi and got taken to my first Renaissance Faire.  I'll never forget how amazing it was.  I was in love with historical costuming!  I started buying patterns and made my first corset!  It was awesome!  I have since torn that corset apart and made different ones from the hardware.  Over the years, I have started branching out from just making pretty corsets and plain skirts and chemises.  I recently finished my first ever full Elizabethan gown!  Then I made another one to sell.  



After my kids were born, I started taking them to the Renaissance Faires, and they love it as much at I do.  Of course, I can't have them in just anything when we go.  They have to dress the part, too.  I'll be honest, it's more fun to make the girls' clothing than the boys'...  But we all look good when we go to faire.  In the past year, I was inspired by fairies and started designing my own fairy costumes.  The wings are unique as far as I can tell, I haven't seen any like mine.  




The plan of this blog is to stitch my way through history, and learn about different techniques and styles along the way.  I will not only visit my favorite time in history, the Tudor period, but also the Vikings, the French styles, Italian Renaissance.  I will document it all here, and share what I've learned with the world! 

Now to figure out what time period to start with...  

No comments:

Post a Comment